Important Information For Active Duty Service Members, Veterans & Military Spouses
Comprehensive List of Professions regulated through the Department of Health Professions with links to the respective licensing board information.
Summary of the Statutory and Regulatory Requirements for Initial Licensure Virginia Department of Health Professions. Contact the licensing board for details on the application process or questions.
Related Statutes under Chapter 54 of the Code of Virginia
Extension of renewal requirements for deployed military and spouses
Virginia law (§54.1-117) allows active duty service people or their spouses who are deployed outside the U.S. to have an extension of time for any requirement or fee pertaining to renewal until 60 days after the person’s return from deployment or overseas assignment. The extension cannot last beyond 5 years past the expiration date for the license. For more information, please read the attached policy and contact the applicable board for your license.
- 54.1-106 Health care professionals rendering services to patients of certain clinics
- 54.1-118 Qualifications for licensure, etc.; substantially equivalent military training
- 54.1-119 Expediting the issuance of licenses, etc., to spouses of military service members
- 54.1-2701 Dentistry licensure exemptions
- 54.1-2817 Funeral service interns
- 54.1-2930 Board of Medicine requirements for admission to examination
- 54.1-3005 Specific powers and duties of Board of Nursing
- 54.1-3476 Exemptions
Other state agencies sites of interest (Listing is not exhaustive)
- Virginia Community Colleges Veterans Career Finder
- Virginia Department of Health Office of Emergency Medical Services (Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedic regulation)
- Virginia Department of Human Resource Management’s Veterans Employment Outreach Services
- Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR)
- Virginia Department of Veterans Services
- Virginia Employment Commission Priority Service for Veterans and Eligible Spouses
- State Council on Higher Education for Virginia - Educational Benefits
- Virginia Workforce Connection - Veteren Services
Additional non-state resources (Listing is not exhaustive)