Department of Health Professions
Press Releases and News
2018 News and Press Releases
- October19, 2018 - On Saturday, October 27, 2018, Virginia will participate in the 16th National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day, a DEA sponsored initiative providing citizens of the Commonwealth with an opportunity to dispose of potentially dangerous controlled substances from their medicine cabinets in an environmentally safe manner. Healthcare professionals are encouraged to read a letter from DHP Director Dr. David Brown.
- April 5, 2018 - On Saturday, April 28, 2018, Virginia will participate in the 15th National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day, a DEA sponsored initiative providing citizens of the Commonwealth with an opportunity to dispose of potentially dangerous controlled substances from their medicine cabinets in an environmentally safe manner. Healthcare professionals are encouraged to read a letter from DHP Director Dr. David Brown.
- January 24, 2018 - Governor Ralph Northam today announced interconnectivity between the Commonwealth's secure Prescription Monitoring Program (PMP) database and North Carolina's Controlled Substance Reporting System, RxSentry. As a result, pharmacists and prescribers in both states will be able to see the prescription history of patients who may utilize health providers or pharmacists in both jurisdictions, improving the quality of care and decreasing the risk of prescription drug diversion. The interoperability is provided through Prescription Monitoring Program Interconnect™ (PMPi), a service of the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP). Read the Governor's full news release.
- January 3, 2018
- UVA Health System to Integrate Electronic Medical Record System with Prescription Monitoring Program (PMP)
In order to improve patient safety in the battle against prescription drug and opioid abuse, the University of Virginia Health System in Charlottesville this month becomes the first large medical system in Virginia under a public-private grant to initiate use of the NarxCare Appriss digital bridge. NarxCare is used by prescribers and pharmacists within their work flow to expedite access to the Commonwealth’s Prescription Monitoring Program (PMP). Read the full press release.
2017 News and Press Releases
- October 2, 2017 - October 28, 2017 marks the fourteenth National Prescription Drug Takeback Day in Virginia. The DEA’s Partnership Toolbox provides a number of useful materials are available for download and distribution. Practitioners can view a letter from the Director of the Department of Health Professions.
- May 12, 2017 - Virginia’s Prescription Monitoring Program (PMP) issued a press release detailing the first Virginia healthcare system to opt into the newly launched Appriss platform. In the fight against prescription drug abuse and opioid addiction, prescribers at Tidewater’s Bayview Physicians Group and their patients were among the first beneficiaries of NarxCare by Appriss Health.
- May 8, 2017 - Virginia’s Healthcare Workforce Data Center Issues Digital Healthcare Occupational Road Map. To assist Virginians considering careers to meet the healthcare needs of Virginia’s 8 million residents, the Virginia Department of Health Professions’ (DHP) Healthcare Workforce Data Center (HWDC) released its Healthcare Occupational Roadmap to support students and others with their decision-making process. Learn more.
- April 6, 2017 - April 29th marks the 12th annual drug takeback day in Virginia. Safely dispose of your expired or unused prescriptions in a safe, convenient, and responsible way at a drug takeback location near you. Read a letter from DHP Director Dr. David Brown.
- January 26, 2017 - Governor McAuliffe announces new grant to help integrate PMP data into practitioner work flows
The grant, from PurduePharma, will allow Virginia’s PMP to connect with electronic health records used by Virginia doctors and pharmacies.
Read the Governor’s news release.
2016 News and Press Releases
- November 22. 2016 - Opioid Addiction Crisis Declared a Public Health Emergency in Virginia
On November 21, 2016 Governor McAuliffe issued a News Release stating that State Health Commissioner Marissa Levine has declared Virginia’s opioid abuse crisis a Public Health Emergency in the Commonwealth. Visit the Virginia Department of Health for more information. Download Commissioner Levine’s message to healthcare practitioners on dispensing Naloxone.
- September 23, 2016 - On Saturday, October 22, 2016, Virginia will participate in the 12th National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day, a DEA sponsored initiative providing citizens of the Commonwealth with an opportunity to dispose of potentially dangerous controlled substances from their medicine cabinets in an environmentally safe manner. Visit the DEA online for more information.
- August 25, 2016 - Free Forums Offers Safe Prescribing and Dispensing Practices for Healthcare Providers - One Care of Southwest Virginia, Inc. and the Virginia Department of Health are joining forces to offer a free educational forum that will provide healthcare providers with clinical best practices for safe prescribing and dispensing of controlled substances. Download the event poster here for more information.
- April, 14 2016 - 11th National Prescription Drug Take-back Day to be Observed April 30, 2016
Read a letter to Virginia practitioners from DHP Director Dr. David Brown and Learn more about the initiative.
- March 2016 - Zika Virus Task Force - Statewide preparedness initiatives related to the mosquito-borne Zika virus (ZIKV) are now available online.
View Governor McAuliffe’s February 26th press release.
January 2016 - Background checks
Effective January 1, 2016, the Virginia Board of Nursing will incorporate both state and federal criminal background checks as part of the application process for registered nurses and licensed practical nurses seeking licensure. This requirement applies to applicants by examination, endorsement and reinstatement. Upon submission of an application, information on criminal background checks will be provided to the potential licensee.
Director of Communications
Virginia Department of Health Professions
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300
Henrico, Virginia 23233-1463
Phone: (804) 367-4400
Fax: (804) 527-4475
Directions to our office