Virginia Board of Nursing
Laws and Regulations
The below documents are in Microsoft Word format. If you do not have Microsoft Word, you can get the Microsoft® Word Viewer 97/2000 to view and print DHP's documents.
- Click here to obtain a Petition for Rule-making. If you would like the Board to consider amending one of its regulations or rules, you may file a “petition for rule-making”. The Board is required to publish your petition in the Virginia Register to begin a 21-day comment period on the request. At the end of the 21 days, the Board must issue a written decision on whether it will grant or deny the petition. A copy of the petition form is provided. You may email the petition to the address below, fax it to the number on the form or mail it to the Board address.
- Regulations Governing the Practice
of Nursing - Revised 1-1-2016
Click here to view the presentation regarding the regulations.
- Regulations Governing the Licensure of Nurse Practitioners - Revised 10-5-2016
- Regulations for Prescriptive Authority for Licensed Nurse Practitioners - Revised 10-5-2016
- Regulations Governing the Certification of Massage Therapists - Revised 8-15-2013
- Regulations Governing Certified Nurse Aides - Revised 2-27-2014
- Public Participation Guidelines - 9-17-2008
- Regulations Governing Delegation to an Agency Subordinate - Effective 8-2-2013
- Regulations Governing the Registration of Medication Aides, Effective 8-15-2013
- Regulations for Medication Administration and Immunization Protocol, February 13, 2015
- Regulations for Nurse Aide Education Programs, September 21, 2016
- none at this time
- none at this time
By law, the persons licensed as health care practitioners have a duty to report to the Virginia Department of Social Services or the local departments of social services any known or suspected incidences of abuse, neglect, or exploitation of children or elderly and incapacitated adults. Contact information and a copy of the law may be obtained at: Legal Requirements to Report Child Abuse and Adult Abuse