File a Complaint
The Department of Health Professions receives complaints about Virginia healthcare practitioners who may have violated a regulation or law. Complaints for all the licensing and regulatory Boards are received and investigated by the agency's Enforcement Division. You can visit the Licensing Boards page for information about the 13 individual licensing and regulatory Boards under this agency’s authority. Additionally, you can find out which health care practitioners and facilities are regulated by this agency, or get a detailed explanation of the Disciplinary Process for Licensed Healthcare Professionals in Virginia.
Notice Regarding Anonymous Complaints: The Department of Health Professions cannot guarantee anonymity. A copy of your complaint and any supporting documentation provided by you may be shared with the subject of the complaint (practitioner or licensee) pursuant to the Code of Virginia § 54.1-2400.2 (G). Using the online complaint form may help preserve your anonymity. If you wish to submit an anonymous complaint, please ensure you check the “Anonymous” box on the online complaint form, and do not include any information on the complaint form or supplemental documents that reveals your identity. If you wish to use an alternative method for filing a complaint (see below) and wish to remain anonymous, do not include any information on the complaint form, envelope, email address, body of email, or supplemental documents that reveals your identity.
Alternative Ways to File a Complaint
Download a Printable Complaint Form
- Provide your name, address, and telephone number (unless filing anonymously)
- Identify the practitioner you are reporting by his or her full name and license type.
- Provide a detailed summary of your concerns.
- Attach copies (not originals) of documents relating to your concerns, if applicable.
- Return the completed Complaint Form to the Enforcement Division by email, fax: (804) 527-4424, U.S. mail, or in person.
Please select the “Option” button and select “enable this content” to allow typing in the Word version.
File a Complaint Verbally or Request a Complaint Form
- Virginia Department of Health Professions
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300
Henrico, VA 23233-1463
- Telephone: 1-800-533-1560 or (804) 367-4691
- Fax: (804) 527-4424
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org