Criminal Background Checks
State and FBI criminal background checks (CBCs) will be required for all RN / LPN licensure applications received beginning January 1, 2016. See below for more information.
State and FBI criminal background checks (CBCs) will be required for all MASSAGE THERAPIST licensure applications received beginning January 1, 2017. See below for more information.
- Effective January 1, 2016, all RN/LPN licensure applicants are required to have a fingerprint-based criminal background check (CBC) under Virginia Code Section 54.1-3005.1.
- Effective January 1, 2017, all MASSAGE THERAPIST licensure applicants are required to have a fingerprint-based criminal background check (CBC) under Virginia Code Section 54.1-3005.1.
- For more information, see CBC New Requirements Fact Sheet and VBON Criminal Background Check Process.
- CBC requirement is only a part of the application process and applicants must comply with all other application requirements.
- Once you successfully complete the exclusive online application process for an RN/LPN license (by exam, endorsement) and for a Massage Therapist (by initial licensure or endoresement) you are eligible to request a fingerprint-based background check through Fieldprint, the vendor responsible for processing your fingerprints.
- For RN, LPN and Massage Therapist reinstatement applicants only: paper applications are required.
- You will receive an application confirmation receipt which contains important information that you must retain in order to register to schedule your fingerprinting appointment. This receipt includes an:
- VBON Fieldprint Code.
- Online applicants may also view their VBON Fieldprint Code and application status through their applicant checklist.
- Inside Virginia applicant fingerprints will be done electronically through Livescan, digital fingerprint image technology, which provides a faster and more accurate collection process and the cost is $33.95.
- Outside Virginia applicants may also be done electronically through Livescan. Fieldprint has more than 1,200 stationary, electronic Livescan fingerprinting locations in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands and the cost is $36.95. Applicants simply enter their city/state/zip code when registering for fingerprinting and may choose the nearest Fieldprint service location.
- Fieldprint is the exclusive vendor for the VBON and is a nationally recognized service provider.
- Fieldprint provides 24/7/365 fingerprint scheduling through their web-based portal and answering questions through their call center.
- Schedule your fingerprint appointment online at Fieldprint. Fieldprint’s web portal will include details for creating your secure account and steps for entering the required information so that your appointment may be scheduled at your convenience.
- Please remember to retain your VBON Fieldprint Code to complete your fingerprint scheduling registration.
- Contact the Fieldprint call center for questions.
- Notification of the results should be available to the VBON within 24-48 hours; results for applicants outside of Virginia will require additional processing time due to manual processing and mailing times. However, if an applicant has a criminal history, the actual results may not be available for 30 days or more, dependent on the FBI and/or Virginia State Police (VSP).
- Applications with an associated criminal history record will take longer to process since they must be reviewed by the Board or a designated Board staff member (See the VBON Criminal Background Check Process PowerPoint for more details).
- The VBON Criminal Background Check Unit (CBC Unit) will notify applicants by mail or email regarding results that may require additional information.
- For additional information or questions regarding the VBON CBC process: email the VBON CBC Unit at VBONCBCUnit@dhp.virginia.gov.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here to view additional Licensure CBC FAQ's