Department of Health Professions
Press Releases and News Archive
2012 News and Press Releases
- October 30, 2012 - Hurricane Information - Extension for license expiration and late fees - Governor McDonnell signed Executive Order No. 53: Declaration of a State of Emergency for the Commonwealth of Virginia Due to the Threat of Hurricane Sandy Impacting Virginia. In response the Department of Health Professions will extend expiration dates until November 9, 2012 for any licensee with an October 31, 2012 expiration, further any late fees shall be waived for renewals that are submitted on or before November 9, 2012.
- October 5, 2012 - Meningitis outbreak linked to steroid injection; expanded drug recall - The CDC and FDA in a joint telebriefing held on October 4, 2012 stated, “Out of an abundance of caution, CDC and FDA recommend that all healthcare personnel cease use and remove from their pharmacy inventories any product produced by the New England Compounding Center.” For more information view the CDC advisory letter, a Letter from the Virginia State Health Commissioner and the Board of Pharmacy web site.
- August 29, 2012- Extension of renewal requirements for deployed military and spouses - Virginia law allows active duty service people or their spouses who are deployed outside the U.S. to have an extension of time for any requirement or fee pertaining to renewal until 60 days after the person’s return from deployment. The extension cannot last beyond 5 years past the expiration date for the license. For more information, please read attached policy and contact the applicable board for your license.
- May 1, 2012 - Virginia physicians over the age of 55 are increasingly working full time hours later in life while fewer young practitioners are working full time hours. Females make up a majority of Virginia’s physicians under age 35 for the first time in Virginia’s history. Read the Press Release.
- April 26, 2012 - Virginia is among 13 states to join the fight against drug diversion and illegal use of prescription pain medication through increased online technology. The implementation of this technology comes at a time when prescription drug abuse is the fastest growing drug problem in the United States. Read the press release.
- April 19, 2012 - Information on National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day Saturday, April 28th 2012.
- January 24, 2012 - Department of Health Professions Healthcare Workforce Data Center Releases a Profile Of Virginia Nursing Education Programs. 2010 Annual Survey of Practical And Registered Nurse Education Programs Shows A 6.1 Percent Increase In Graduates.