Virginia Board of Dentistry
Laws and Regulations
The below documents are in Microsoft Word format. If you do not have Microsoft Word, you can get the Microsoft Word Viewer to view and print documents.
- Click here to obtain a Petition for Rule-making. If you would like the Board to consider amending one of its regulations or rules, you may file a "petition for rule-making". The Board is required to publish your petition in the Virginia Register and post it online at www.townhall.virginia.gov to begin a 21-day comment period on the request. Within 90 days after the comment period or 14 days after its next scheduled meeting, the Board will issue a decision on whether it will grant or deny the petition. A copy of the petition form is provided. You may email the petition to the address below, fax it to the number on the form or mail it to the Board address.
- Regulations Governing the Disciplinary Process - 12/2/2015
- Regulations Governing the Practice of Dentistry - 3/17/2021
- Regulations Governing the Practice of Dental Hygiene - 10/15/2020
- Regulations Governing the Practice of Dental Assistants - 3/31/2021
- Public Participation Guidelines - 12/15/2016
- Incorporated by Reference: 2016 ADA Guidelines for Teaching Pain Control and Sedation to Dentists and Dental Students
- Incorporated by Reference: Protocol adopted by Virginia Department of Health (VDH) for Dental Hygienists to Practice in an Expanded Capacity under Remote Supervision by Public Health Dentists (May 24, 2019)
- Incorported by Reference: Protocol for Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS) Dental Hygienists to Practice in an Expanded Capacity under Remote Supervision by DBHDS Dentists (May 24, 2019)
- None at this time
- Emergency Regulations Governing the Practice of Dental Hygiene - effective date of emergency regulation: 12/1/2019 to 3/31/2021
- Emergency Regulations for waiver of requirement for electronic prescribing - effective 12/2/2019
- Repealed Regulations Governing Dental Practice - Repealed as of December 2, 2015