Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

Virginia Board of Long-Term Care Administrators
Frequently Asked Questions - Assisted Living Facility Administrators

Licensure for Assisted Living Facility Administrators:

What are the qualifications for licensure as an Assisted Living Facility Administrator?

There are three routes for licensure: (1) Education – AIT Training Program, Certificate Program or Degree & Practical Experience, (2) Endorsement, or (3) Credentials. Refer to Regulation 18 VAC 95-30-100.

Applicants also need to hold a high school diploma or general education diploma (GED) and receive a passing grade on the national examination administered by NAB.

A current Virginia licensed Nursing Home Administrator may engage in the administration of an assisted living facility. Refer to Regulation 18 VAC 95-30-50.

What are the steps to the licensure process and what order should the process take?

For applicants who are applying by credentials, or who have already completed an Administrator-In-Training (AIT) Program:

Step 1 – Submit Assisted Living Facility Administrator application, fee, and any additional required documentation. The Board will notify you when step 1 is complete.

Step 2 – After receiving notification from the Board, register with NAB to take the National Exam. NAB will charge a partial payment of the fee ($75) and notify the Board that you have registered.

Step 3 – The Board will notify NAB that you have submitted an application and are eligible to take the exam. The remaining testing fee will be charged by NAB at this time. NAB will notify you to pick a testing location and date.

Step 4 – Take the national exam. NAB reports tests results back to the Board on a routine basis.  Once the results are recorded by the Board, the results will be released and you will be notified by NAB how to obtain your scores.

Step 5 – After passing the exam, a license will be issued and mailed to you by the Board.

How do I apply for licensure by endorsement?

An applicant needs to hold a current, unrestricted license from any state or D.C., been engaged in active practice as an assisted living administrator, or have education and experience equivalent to qualifications for initial licensure and pass the national exam.  The Board requires written verification from all states where licensure has been held whether current or expired.  The Board also requires written employment verification. “Active practice” means a minimum of 1,000 hours of practice as an assisted living facility administrator within the preceding 24 months.

How long does the licensure applications remain on file?

With the exception of school transcripts, examination scores, employer verifications, the NPDB report and verification from other state boards, all parts of the application package shall be submitted at the same time. An incomplete package shall be retained by the board for one year, after which time, the application shall be destroyed and a new application and fee will be required.

What are the qualifications to apply for an AIT program?

To be approved as an administrator-in-training, a person shall: (1) meet the requirements of Regulation 18 VAC 95-30-100 (A)(1); (2) obtain a preceptor to provide training in a licensed facility; (3) submit an application; (4) submit the required fee; and (5) submit additional documentation as may be necessary to determined eligibility of the applicant and the number of hours required for the AIT program.  A “Domains of Practice” form must be included with the application totaling the proposed program hours.

Training Facilities:

AIT training shall only be conducted in facilities listed under 18 VAC 95-30-170 of the Regulations. A new ALF AIT program or internship shall not be conducted in a facility with a provisional license as determined by the Department of Social Services.

How many hours are required for an AIT program?

The AIT program shall consist of 640 hours of continuous training in a facility as prescribed in 18 VAC 95-30-170 to be completed within 24 months.
The board may reduce the required hours for applicants with certain qualifications as prescribed in Regulations 18 VAC 95-30-150 and 18 VAC 95-30-100(A)(1).  The modified program requests are located on page two of the application.

Please click here for the Assisted Living Facility Administrators Education and Experience Matrix.

How do I obtain a preceptor?

An AIT applicant can search through License Lookup and search for Assisted Living Facility Preceptor under “Occupation”. To find a preceptor in your area, a zip code can be entered in the search field.  Due to privacy laws, this search will provide you with a full list of all licensed preceptors but it does not provide contact information.

For a list of licensed Preceptors who volunteered their contact information be posted in a public directory, please click on the following link:  Preceptor Directory

What are the qualifications of preceptors?

To be a preceptor, individual needs to hold a current, unrestricted license, and be employed full-time as an administrator in a training facility for a minimum of two (2) of the past four (4) years immediately prior to registration.

Effective March 6, 2019, an applicant will be required to provide evidence of completion of the online preceptor training course offered by NAB.

What do I do if the AIT program is terminated?

If the AIT program is terminated prior to completion, the trainee and the preceptor shall each submit a written explanation of the causes of program termination to the board with ten (10) business days.  A Notice of Change or Discontinuation of program form can be found under “Applications and Forms” on the website.
The preceptor shall also submit all required monthly progress reports completed prior to termination within ten (10) business days.

What happens when an AIT program is interrupted because the preceptor is unable to serve?

If the preceptor cannot serve, the AIT shall notify the board within ten (10) business days and shall obtain a new preceptor who is registered with the board within 60 days.  A Notice of Change or Discontinuation of program form can be found under “Applications and Forms” on the website.
Credit for training shall resume when a new preceptor is obtained and approved by the board. 

If an alternate training plan is developed, it shall be submitted to the board for approval before the AIT resumes training.


What is required to be scheduled for the national examination?

A completed Assisted Living Facility Administrator Licensure application is required before an applicant can be approved to take the national exam through NAB.

Is there also a state exam required for licensure?

No State Exam is required.

How many times can I sit for the NHA exam?

Candidates may not take the NHA exam more than four times in a 12-month period from the date of the initial test.

How many times can I sit for the CORE exam?

Candidates may not take the CORE exam more than four times in a 12-month period from the date of the initial test.

How many times can I sit for the RC/AL exam?

Candidates may not take the RC/AL exam more than three times in a 12-month period from the date of the initial test.

What do the NAB exams consist of?

The NAB Manual is a recommended study guide for candidates who are about to take the exam(s). The NAB Manual has different sections related to nursing home/assisted living facility terminology, a common diagnosis for patients chart, and flashcards and forms for candidates to utilize.

Is there a certain time frame I have to take the exam(s)?

Examinations must be scheduled and completed within a 60-day window from the date of receiving the Authorization to Test email from NAB.



When are licenses renewed?

Licensees may renewal their license by March 31 each year by going to Online Licensing and entering the Personal Identification Number (PIN) number provided on the renewal form.

I am an active duty serviceperson that missed my renewal because of deployment outside of the United States.  Is there an extension for renewal?

An extension of time for active duty servicemen and spouses is permitted. The DHP policy allows a licensee to make arrangements as necessary to ensure that persons serving on active duty as a member of the military or in the Foreign Service outside the United States or their spouses are accorded the benefit of an extension of time for any deadline or requirement pertaining to the renewal of a license, certification or registration. Extensions should be granted for at least 60 days after the person’s return to the United States, not to exceed five years from the date of expiration.

Requirements for Active Duty Extension of Renewal:

A Copy of Military Orders or form DD214 placing the licensee on active duty outside the United States are considered sufficient documentation to determine eligibility. A request for the extension of renewal fee/continuing education should include the projected return date to the United States.

Do I need to notify the Board if I choose not to renew my license, or if I retire from my profession?

No, your license will automatically expire if not renewed by the deadline. You do not need to notify the Board in any way.

Continuing Education:

How many hours of continuing education are required to renew?

Licensees are required to obtain 20 hours of approved education is required for each renewal year. Up to 10 of the 20 hours may be obtained through internet or self-study courses and up to 10 continuing education hours in excess of the number required may be transferred or credited to the next renewal year.

What continuing education courses are acceptable?

In order for a continuing education course to be approved by the board, it shall be related to health care administration and shall be approved by the National Association of Boards of Examiners of Long Term Care Administrators (NAB), an accredited institution, government agency, or as set forth in the Regulations.

How long do licensees maintain their continuing education documentation?

Licensees shall retain in their personal files for a period of three renewal years complete documentation of continuing education including evidence of attendance or participation as provided by the approved sponsor for each course taken. For further information, refer to refer to 18 VAC 95-30-70 of the Regulations.

Are there any exemptions or extensions in obtaining continuing education?

The board may grant an extension of up to one year or an exemption for all or part of the continuing education requirements due to circumstances beyond the control of the administrator, such as certified illness, temporary disability, mandatory military service, or official disasters. The request for an extension shall be received in writing and granted by the board prior to the renewal date.


How do you reinstate an assisted living facility administrator’s license?

An applicant for assisted living facility administrator license reinstatement shall apply on a reinstatement form provided by the board, submit the reinstatement fee ($435), and provide one of the following:

(1) Evidence of the equivalent of 20 hours of continuing education for each year since the last renewal, not to exceed a total of 60 hours
(2) Evidence of active practice in another or U.S. jurisdiction or in the U.S. armed services during the period licensure in Virginia was lapsed; or
(3) Evidence of requalifying for licensure by meeting the requirements prescribed in 18 VAC 95-30-100 or 18 VAC 95-30-110.

How do you reinstate a preceptor’s license?

An applicant for preceptor reinstatement shall apply on a reinstatement form provided by the board, submit the reinstatement fee ($105) and meet the current requirements for a preceptor in effect at the time of application for reinstatement.

Name/Address Change:

How do you notify the board office of an address change and/or name change?

All address changes must be in writing. You may use the Name and Address Change Form to submit your request. The request should include name, license number, and/or social security number, and old and new addresses. The address change may be faxed, e-mailed, or mailed to the board office. Address changes can also be made online by going to Online Licensing.

Name changes must be submitted in writing and include legal documentation such as a court order, marriage license, or divorce decree. Name changes may also be faxed, e-mailed, or mailed to the board office.

How do I obtain a duplicate copy of my license?

To obtain a duplicate license, submit a written request and a $25 check or money order made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia.  Licensees may also obtain a duplicate license by going to Online Licensing.

Verification of License:

How can I have my license verified to another state?

Effective November 01, 2019, the Virginia Board of Long-Term Care Administrators will implement an electronic process for Verification of Licensure. The Virginia Board of Long-Term Care Administrators electronically sends the Verification of Licensure with available public information to the jurisdiction that you designate.

To request an electronic verification of licensure to be sent to another licensing jurisdiction, please submit the Verification Form; include your full name, license number or social security number, your current mailing address and the email address of where you want the verification to be sent. Attach the required processing fee of $35.00 check or money order made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia.

Allow five to seven business days for processing. The board verifies profession, license number, issue date, expiration date, how the licensee obtained Virginia licensure, and if there have been any disciplinary actions.

Verifications received without the required fee will not be processed.

Mail your request and fee to:

Board of Long-Term Care Administrators
Perimeter Center
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300
Henrico, Virginia 23233-1463

You may also verify licensure information online by using License Lookup, which provides current, primary source verification of licensure.