Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

Virginia Board of Long-Term Care Administrators
Frequently Asked Questions - Nursing Home Administrators


What are the qualifications for licensure as a Nursing Home Administrator?

An Applicant may apply for licensure by (1) Degree and practical experience; or (2) Certificate program; or (3) Administrator-in-training program. Refer to Regulation 18 VAC 95-20-220.

In addition, all applicants must receive a passing grade on the national examination.

The Applicant should determine the appropriate pathway to apply for licensure.

Do you offer licensure by endorsement?

Yes, the board may issue a license to any person who holds a current, unrestricted license from any state or the District of Columbia, and either (1) has been engaged in active practice as a licensed nursing home administrator; or (2) has education and experience equivalent to qualifications for initial licensure. “Active practice” means a minimum of 1,000 hours of practice as a licensed nursing home administrator within the preceding 24 months.

How long does the licensure applications remain on file?

Application files shall be retained by the board for one year, after which time, the application file shall be destroyed and a new application, supporting documentation, and fee will be required.

What are the qualifications to apply for an AIT program?

To be approved as an administrator-in-training, a person shall: (1) have received a passing grade on a total of 60 semester hours of education from an accredited college or university, (2) obtain a registered preceptor to provide training; (3) locate a licensed nursing home facility that meets the requirements for a training facility; (4) submit the application and Domains of Practice form; (5) submit the fee; and (6) submit additional documentation as may be necessary to determine eligibility of the applicant and the number of hours required for the AIT program.

National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB):

How do I obtain a self-report from the National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB)?

Applicants for licensure require a current report from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB).

This requirement applies to all applications received on or after July 16, 2015 for licensure as an Administrator or Preceptor for both Nursing Home and Assisted Living Facility professions. This also includes anyone applying for reinstatement of their license and licensure by endorsement.

Anyone applying for registration as an Administrator-in-Training Program (AIT) will not be required to submit the NPDB report.

This is not a requirement for renewal of your license.

Instructions on how to obtain a self-report from the National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB):

Training Facilities:

AIT training shall be conducted only in facilities listed under 18 VAC 95-20-330 of the regulations.

How many hours are required for an AIT program?

The AIT program shall consist of 2,000 hours of continuous training in a facility as prescribed in 18 VAC 95-20-330 to be completed within 24 months.

The board may reduce the required hours for applicants with certain qualifications as prescribed in Regulation 18 VAC 95-20-310 (B) and (C).

How do I obtain a preceptor?

You may go to License Lookup and search for Nursing Home Preceptor under "Occupation". To find a preceptor in your area, a zip code can be entered in the search field. Due to privacy laws, this search will provide you with a full list of all licensed preceptors but it does not provide contact information.

For a list of licensed Preceptors who volunteered their contact information be posted in a public directory, please view the Preceptor Directory

What are the qualifications of preceptors?

To be a preceptor, an individual needs to hold a current, unrestricted license and be employed full-time as an administrator in a training facility for a minimum of two of the past three years immediately prior to registration.

Effective March 6, 2019, an individual will be required to provide evidence of completion of the online preceptor training course offered by the National Association of Long Term Care Administrator Boards (NAB).

What do I do if the AIT program is terminated?

If the AIT program is terminated prior to completion, the trainee and the preceptor shall each submit a written explanation of the causes of program termination to the board with ten (10) business days.  A Notice of Change or Discontinuation of program form can be found under “Applications and Forms” on the website.

The preceptor shall also submit all required monthly progress reports completed prior to termination.

What happens when an AIT program is interrupted because the preceptor is unable to serve?

If the preceptor cannot serve, the AIT shall notify the board within five working days and shall obtain a new preceptor who is registered with the board within 60 days.  A Notice of Change or Discontinuation of program form can be found under “Applications and Forms” on the website.

Credit for training shall resume when a new preceptor is obtained and approved by the board.

If an alternate training plan is developed, it shall be submitted to the board for approval before the AIT resumes training.


What is required to be scheduled for the national examination?

A completed nursing home administrator licensure application is required before an applicant can be approved to take the national exam through NAB.

What is required to be scheduled for the state exam?

There is no state exam requirement.

How many times can I sit for the NHA exam?

Candidates may not take the NHA exam more than four times in a 12-month period from the date of the initial test.

How many times can I sit for the CORE exam?

Candidates may not take the CORE exam more than four times in a 12-month period from the date of the initial test.

How many times can I sit for the RC/AL exam?

Candidates may not take the RC/AL exam more than three times in a 12-month period from the date of the initial test.

What do the NAB exams consist of?

The NAB Manual is a recommended study guide for candidates who are about to take the exam(s). The NAB Manual has different sections related to nursing home/assisted living facility terminology, a common diagnosis for patients chart, and flashcards and forms for candidates to utilize.

Is there a certain time frame I have to take the exam(s)?

Examinations must be scheduled and completed within a 60-day window from the date of receiving the Authorization to Test email from NAB.


When are licenses renewed?

Licensees may renewal their license by March 31 each year by going to Online Licensing and entering the Personal Identification Number (PIN) number provided on the renewal form.

I am an active duty serviceperson that missed my renewal because of deployment outside of the United States.  Is there an extension for renewal?

An extension of time for active duty servicemen and spouses is permitted. The DHP policy allows a licensee to make arrangements as necessary to ensure that persons serving on active duty as a member of the military or in the Foreign Service outside the United States or their spouses are accorded the benefit of an extension of time for any deadline or requirement pertaining to the renewal of a license, certification or registration. Extensions should be granted for at least 60 days after the person’s return to the United States, not to exceed five years from the date of expiration.

Requirements for Active Duty Extension of Renewal:

A Copy of Military Orders or form DD214 placing the licensee on active duty outside the United States are considered sufficient documentation to determine eligibility. A request for the extension of renewal fee/continuing education should include the projected return date to the United States.

Do I need to notify the Board if I choose not to renew my license, or if I retire from my profession?

No, your license will automatically expire if not renewed by the deadline. You do not need to notify the Board in any way.


Continuing Education:

How many hours of continuing education are required to renew?

Licensees must obtain 20 hours of approved education for renewal each year. Up to 10 of the 20 hours may be obtained through internet or self-study courses and up to 10 continuing education hours in excess of the number required may be transferred or credited to the next renewal year.

What continuing education courses are acceptable?

In order for a continuing education course to be approved by the board, it shall be related to health care administration and shall be approved by the National Association of Long Term Care Administrator Boards (NAB) or by an accredited institution, or government agency, or as provided in the regulations.

How long do licensees maintain their continuing education documentation?

Licensees shall retain in their personal files for a period of three renewal years complete documentation of continuing education including evidence of attendance or participation as provided by the approved sponsor for each course taken. For further information, refer to 18 VAC 95-20-175 of the regulations.

Are there any exemptions or extensions in obtaining continuing education?

The board may grant an extension of up to one year or an exemption for all or part of the continuing education requirements due to circumstances beyond the control of the administrator, such as certified illness, temporary disability, mandatory military service, or official disasters. The request for an extension shall be received in writing and granted by the board prior to the renewal date.


How do you reinstate a nursing home administrator’s license?

An applicant for nursing home administrator license reinstatement shall apply on a reinstatement form provided by the board, submit the reinstatement fee, and provide one of the following:
(1) Evidence of the equivalent of 20 hours of continuing education for each year since the last renewal, not to exceed a total of 60 hours; or

(2) Evidence of active practice in another or U.S. jurisdiction or in the U.S. armed services during the period licensure in Virginia was lapsed; or

(3) Evidence of re-qualifying for licensure by meeting the requirements prescribed in 18 VAC 95-20-220 or 18 VAC 95-20-225.

How do you reinstate a preceptor’s license?

An applicant for preceptor reinstatement shall apply on a reinstatement form provided by the board, submit the reinstatement fee, and meet the current requirements for a preceptor in effect at the time of application for reinstatement.

Name/Address Change:

How do you notify the board office of an address change and/or name change?

All address changes must be in writing. You may use the Name and Address Change Form to submit your request. The request should include your name, license number, and/or social security number, and old and new addresses. The address change may be faxed, e-mailed, or mailed to the board office. Address changes can also be made on line by going to Online Licensing.

Name changes must be submitted in writing and include legal documentation such as a court order, marriage license, or divorce decree. Name changes may also be faxed, e-mailed, or mailed to the board office.

How do I obtain a duplicate copy of my license?

To obtain a duplicate license, submit a written request and a $25 check or money order made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia. Licensees may also request a duplicate license by going to Online Licensing.

Verification of License:

How can I have my license verified to another state?

Effective November 01, 2019, the Virginia Board of Long-Term Care Administrators will implement an electronic process for Verification of Licensure. The Virginia Board of Long-Term Care Administrators electronically sends the Verification of Licensure with available public information to the jurisdiction that you designate.

To request an electronic verification of licensure to be sent to another licensing jurisdiction, please submit the Verification Form; include your full name, license number or social security number, your current mailing address and the email address of where you want the verification to be sent. Attach the required processing fee of $35.00 check or money order made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia.

Allow five to seven business days for processing. The board verifies profession, license number, issue date, expiration date, how the licensee obtained Virginia licensure, and if there have been any disciplinary actions.

Verifications received without the required fee will not be processed.

Mail your request and fee to:

Board of Long-Term Care Administrators
Perimeter Center
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300
Henrico, Virginia 23233-1463

You may also verify licensure information online by using License Lookup which provides current, primary source verification of licensure.