|Board of Pharmacy|
Phone: (804) 367-4456
Hours: Mon-Fri 8:15 to 5:00
Looking for a career in healthcare?
|Other Citizen Services|
Please Note: DHP's offices will be closed Tuesday, April 25th for a staff training event.
Safe and effective COVID-19 vaccines are now available for anyone age 6 months or older. Talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist for more information.
Data-Waiver (X-Waiver) Requirement Removed
As of December 29, 2022, and pursuant to Section 1262 of the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2023, federal law no longer requires prescribers to obtain a DATA-Waiver or X-Waiver to prescribe medications, like buprenorphine, to treat patients with opioid use disorder. Read more
Continuing Education (CE) Requirement for Pharmacists in 2023
Important Communication for Pharmacists Regarding 2023 Continuing Education Requirement
PAXLOVID Patient Eligibility Screening Checklist Tool for Pharmacists (pdf)
Summary of Legal Authorities for Pharmacists to Administer COVID-19 Vaccine (pdf)
Revised Health Commissioner’s COVID-19 Vaccine Standing Order for Pharmacists (pdf)
VDH Vaccine Information for Healthcare Professionals
COVID-19 Testing Resource Document (pdf) - revised 11/25/2020
Pharmacy Technician Training Requirements updated March 2023
FAQs for Pharmacy Technician Registration and Training Program Accreditation (pdf)
Emergency regulations pursuant to 2022 legislation authorizing pharmacists to initiate treatment for tobacco cessation for patients 18 years of age or older became effective February 21, 2023. Pharmacists may initiate treatment in accordance with the regulations and statewide protocols listed below. Please note that the protocols for vaccine administration to minors and the ordering of coronavirus tests do not become effective until the expiration of the PREP Act. Meanwhile, pharmacy personnel may continue to act in accordance with the PREP Act or standing order.Tobacco Cessation
- Tobacco Cessation Statewide Protocol
- Tobacco Cessation Self-Screening Patient Intake Form
- Tobacco Cessation Assessment and Treatment Care Pathway
- NRT and Non-NRT Dosing Guidelines
- Tuberculin Skin Testing One-Step Protocol
- Tuberculin Skin Testing Two-Step Protocol: For Initial Testing In Adults Who May Be Undergoing Annual Testing
- Virginia Routine Contraceptive Statewide Protocol
- Virginia Algorithm for Pharmacists to Prescribe Routine Hormonal Contraceptives
- Virginia Algorithm for Pharmacists to Prescribe and Administer DMPA
- Virginia Contraceptive Self-Screening Questionnaire
- Virginia Emergency Contraceptive Statewide Protocol
- Virginia Emergency Contraceptive Self-Screening Questionnaire
Lowering Out-of-Pocket Expenses
Request for Application
The Board of Pharmacy has issued the following Request for Application (RFA) to solicit applications for a permit to operate a pharmaceutical processor in Health Service Area (HSA) I. As authorized in law, the Virginia Board of Pharmacy (Board) may award conditional approval for only one pharmaceutical processor in this health service area. In order to be considered for selection, an Applicant must submit a complete Application for a Pharmaceutical Processor Permit for HSA I with required documentation and application fee in accordance with this RFA no later than December 4, 2020 at 2:00p.m. EST. Please review the RFA for specific application requirements.
Mandatory E-Prescribing of Opioids Effective July 1, 2020
Click here to read the related article in the July 2020 e-newsletter.
The Department of Health Professions (DHP) has been made aware that some licensees have received fraudulent communications from individuals claiming to be from one of our licensing boards, such as the Board of Pharmacy, or another agency, such as the DEA. The communications, often by phone, may threaten arrest or license suspension, demand personal information, or require the payment of fines. Please note:
- Phone calls may “spoof” DHP or a Board and appear to be from our number;
- If you need to verify the identity of a DHP investigator or inspector, call (804) 367-4691 or email email@example.com;
- DHP will never demand that you provide personally identifying information, such as social security number, date of birth, bank or credit card account numbers over the phone;
- These type of licensing scams are a problem nationwide.
If you believe you are the recipient of a fraudulent communication claiming to be from DHP:
- Notify DHP at 804-367-4691, or email firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Report the communication to local law enforcement or the Virginia State Police;
- The Federal Trade Commission also accepts reports about “Imposter Scams” through their website, or at 1-877-382-4357. These reports are used to aid ongoing investigations.
The Drug Enforcement Administration also has warned of imposters posing as DEA agents. Information and reporting of these scams can be found at this DEA website.
REVIVE! Pharmacy Dispensing Brochure - This brochure is designed for pharmacists to distribute along with naloxone.
Additional information regarding REVIVE!, the Opioid Overdose and Naloxone Education program may be accessed here.
How a consumer may properly dispose
of unwanted prescription drugs.
Guidance from the FDA
List of Authorized Collectors of Drugs for Destruction
Buying medicine online
For information about buying
medicine online, visit the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy® (NABP®) Web site https://safe.pharmacy/.
For more information:
Buying Medicine and Medical Products over the Internet from the FDA.
Extension of renewal requirements for deployed military and spouses
Virginia law allows active duty service people or their spouses who are deployed outside the U.S. to have an extension of time for any requirement or fee pertaining to renewal until 60 days after the person’s return from deployment. The extension cannot last beyond 5 years past the expiration date for the license. For more information, please read attached policy and contact the applicable board for your license.
Laws & Regulations
Laws and Regulations Governing Pharmacy
Applications & Forms
Download the Forms and Applications available from the Virginia Board of Pharmacy.
View the list of Professions regulated by the Board.
View and download the available guidance documents from the Virginia Board of Pharmacy.
Board of Pharmacy CalendarThe Board of Pharmacy's Calendar of upcoming Board meetings and minutes from past Board meetings.
Frequently Asked QuestionsFind the answers to common questions
Newsletters & PresentationsRead the latest board news and see recent presentations in the Newsletters & Presentations page.
Regulatory Town Hall
The Virginia Department of Planning & Budget has designed a Regulatory Town Hall for anyone interested in the proposal of regulations or meetings of regulatory boards.
To view the PDF files on this page you'll need the free Adobe