CSAC and CSAC-A Application Information
STOP! Please review this information before you proceed with your online CSAC application.
To expedite the processing of ONLINE applications for certification or registration, applicants can now upload many of the required supporting documents required to apply for certification or registration by using the new documents upload feature in the online application portal. Please be sure to download the full instructions located in the online application portal when you apply for more information about this feature. Documents you wish to upload must be uploaded prior to submitting your online application fee. (Official transcripts must be sent to the Board directly from your school electronically or by mail.) It is preferred that supplemental documents be provided to the Board in PDF file format.
It is strongly recommended that you review the Regulations Governing the Certification of Substance Abuse Counselors & Assistants, the CSAC and CSAC-A Certification Process Handbook and Guidance Document 115-11: Scope of Practice for Person Regulated by the Board to provide Substance Abuse Treatment before submitting your application for evaluation.
What is the difference between the online application types?
NOTE: CSAC-A certification is not a prerequisite for CSAC certification.
- The Certified Substance Abuse Counselor Initial Registration of Supervision Application (CSAC Initial Supervisee Registration). This application is used for those have at least a bachelor’s degree and 120 hours of didactic training in substance abuse and are ready to be approved to start gaining supervised experience hours towards CSAC certification.
- The Certified Substance Abuse Counselor Add/Change Registration of Supervision Application (CSAC Add/Change Supervisee Registration). This application is used for individuals who were previously approved as a CSAC supervisee but need to add or change their supervisor.
- The Certified Substance Abuse Counselor by Examination Application (CSAC by Examination). This application is to be submitted after completing the Board-approved supervised experience and completing the required 240 clock hours of didactic substance abuse training and ready to sit for the NCAC1 examination.
- The Certified Substance Abuse Counselor by Endorsement Application (CSAC by Endorsement). This application is for individuals who hold a license or certification as a substance abuse counselor in another jurisdiction in good standing which was obtained by standards substantially equivalent to the Virginia CSAC by examination OR who holds a current national certification approved by the Board in good standing. (Approved national certifications: MAC, AADC and NCACII. The CADC does not meet the CSAC endorsement requirements.)
- The Certified Substance Abuse Counselor Assistant by Examination (CSAC-A by Exam). This application is used for those have a minimum high school diploma/GED, 120 hours of didactic training in substance abuse and have performed at least 180 hours of substance abuse tasks with clients while under supervision.
All application fees are non-refundable. Please ensure that you are completing the correct application before moving forward with your payment.
Retain a copy of your application materials for your records. After one year, all incomplete application files will be destroyed as outlined in the Library of Virginia records retention and disposition schedules.
Click here to begin the online application process.