Board of Funeral Directors and Embalmers:
Laws and Regulations
The below documents are in Microsoft Word format. If you do not have Microsoft Word, you can get the Microsoft Word Viewer to view and print DHP's documents.
Laws as of July 1, 2022 - Selected sections of the Code of Virginia
Final Regulations - Regulations currently in effect for practitioners under the Board
- Click here to obtain a Petition for Rule-making. If you would like the Board to consider amending one of its regulations or rules, you may file a "petition for rule-making". The Board is required to publish your petition in the Virginia Register and post it online at www.townhall.virginia.gov to begin a 21-day comment period on the request. Within 90 days after the comment period or 14 days after its next scheduled meeting, the Board will issue a decision on whether it will grant or deny the petition. A copy of the petition form is provided. You may email the petition to the address below, fax it to the number on the form or mail it to the Board address.
- General Regulations Governing the Practice of Funeral Services - 12/7/2022
- APPENDIX I - General Price List
- APPENDIX II - Casket Price List, Outer Burial Container Price List
- APPENDIX III - Itemized Statement of Funeral Goods and Services Selected
- Regulations for Preneed Funeral Planning - 12/7/2022
- Regulations for the Funeral Service Internship Program - 12/7/2022
- Public Participation Guidelines -1/12/2017
Emergency Regulations- Amended regulations in effect for 18 months
- none at this time
Proposed Regulations - Amendments to regulations proposed by the Board
- All of the Board's proposed regulations can be found on the Townhall website.
Duty to Report Adult or Child Abuse, Neglect or Exploitation
By law, the persons licensed as health care practitioners
have a duty to report to the Virginia Department of Social Services or the
local departments of social services any known or suspected incidences of
abuse, neglect, or exploitation of children or elderly and incapacitated
adults. Contact information and a copy of the law may be obtained at: Legal
Requirements to Report Child Abuse and Adult Abuse