Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

Virginia Board of Long-Term Care Administrators
Frequently Asked Questions - Assisted Living Facility Administrators

Licensure for Assisted Living Facility Administrators::

What are the qualifications for licensure as an Assisted Living Facility Administrator?

There is licensure by (1) Education – AIT Training Program, Certificate Program or, Degree & Practical Experience (2) Endorsement or (3) Credentials. Refer to Regulation 18 VAC 95-30-100.

Applicant needs to determine how they are applying by completing the application. Applicants also need to hold a high school diploma or general education diploma (GED) and receive a passing grade on the national examination administered by NAB.

• A current Virginia licensed Nursing Home Administrator may engage in the administration of an assisted living facility. Refer to regulation 18 VAC 95-30-50

What are the steps to the licensure process and what order should the process take?

Step 1 – Submit Assisted Living Facility Administrator application, fee, and any additional required documentation. The Board will notify you when step 1 is complete.

Step 2 – After receiving notification from the Board, register with NAB to take the National Exam. NAB will charge a partial payment of the fee ($75) and notify the Board that you have registered.

Step 3 – The Board will notify NAB that you have submitted an application and are eligible to take the exam. The remaining testing fee will be charged by NAB at this time. NAB will notify you to pick a testing location and date.

Step 4 – Take the national exam. NAB reports tests results back to the Board approximately every 10 -14 days.  Once the results are recorded by the Board, the results will be released and you will be notified by NAB how to obtain your scores.

Step 5 – After passing the exam, a license will be issued and mailed to you by the Board.

How do I apply for licensure by endorsement?

Applicant needs to hold a current, unrestricted license from any state or D.C., practiced assisted living administration for two years or have education and experience equivalent to qualifications for initial licensure and pass the national exam.  We require written verification from all states licensure has been held whether current or expired.  We also require written employment verification.

How long does the licensure applications remain on file?

With the exception of school transcripts, examination scores, and verification from other state boards, all parts of the application package shall be submitted at the same time. An incomplete package shall be retained by the board for one year, after which time, the application shall be destroyed and a new application and fee will be required.

What are the qualifications to apply for an AIT program?

To be approved as an administrator-in-training, a person shall: (1) have received a passing grade on a total of 30 semester hours of education from an accredited college or university, or completed an educational program for an LPN and hold a current unrestricted license;(2) obtain a preceptor to provide training in a licensed facility; (3) submit an application (4) and fee (5) submit additional documentation as may be necessary to determined eligibility of the applicant and the number of hours required for the AIT program.  A “Domains of Practice” form must be included with application totalling the hours of the program being applied for.

Training Facilities:

AIT training shall only be conducted in facilities listed under 18 VAC 95-30-170 of the regulations.

How many hours are required for an AIT program?

The AIT program shall consist of 640 hours of continuous training in a facility as prescribed in 18 VAC 95-30-170 to be completed within 24 months.

The board may reduce the required hours for applicants with certain qualifications as prescribed in Regulation 18 VAC 95-30-150.  The modified program requests are located on page two of the application.

How do I obtain a preceptor?

One option is you may go to License Lookup and search for the occupation of Assisted Living Facility Preceptor. To find a preceptor in your area, a zip code can be entered.  Due to privacy laws, this search will provide you with a full list of all licensed preceptors but it does not provide contact information.

For a list of licensed Preceptors who volunteered their contact information be posted in a public directory, please click on the following link:  Preceptor Directory

What are the qualifications of preceptors?

To be a preceptor, individual needs to hold a current, unrestricted license, and be employed full-time as an administrator in a training facility for a minimum of one of the past four years immediately prior to registration.

What do I do if the AIT program is terminated?

If the AIT program is terminated prior to completion, the trainee and the preceptor shall each submit a written explanation of the causes of program termination to the board with five (5) working days.  A Notice of Change or Discontinuation of program form can be found under “applications and forms” on the website.

The preceptor shall also submit all required monthly progress reports completed prior to termination.

What happens when an AIT program is interrupted because the preceptor is unable to serve?

If the preceptor cannot serve, the AIT shall notify the board within five (5) working days and shall obtain a new preceptor who is registered with the board within 60 days.  A Notice of Change or Discontinuation of program form can be found under “applications and forms” on the website.

Credit for training shall resume when a new preceptor is obtained and approved by the board. 

If an alternate training plan is developed, it shall be submitted to the board for approval before the AIT resumes training.


What is required to be scheduled for the national examination?

A completed Assisted Living Facility Administrator Licensure application is required before an applicant can be approved to take NAB.

Is there also a state exam required for licensure?

No State Exam is required.


When are licenses renewed?

A person who desires to renew their license needs to renew by March 31 of each year. Licensee may renew their license by going to "Online Licensing" or they may submit their renewal fee by postal mail along with a letter indicating they wish to renew including their full name, current mailing address, license number or social security number, and a statement that they have complied with the continuing education requirement.

I am an active duty serviceperson that missed my renewal because of deployment outside of the United States.  Is there an exemption?

An extension for your renewal will be granted for 60 days after your return to the United States.  No late fee will be charged.  No extensions granted shall exceed five years from the date of the expiration.

Requirements for Active Duty Extension of Renewal:

A Copy of Military Orders or form DD214 placing the licensee on active duty outside the United States.

Continuing Education:

How many hours of continuing education are required to renew?

20 hours of approved education is required for each renewal year. Up to 10 of the 20 hours may be obtained through internet or self-study courses and up to 10 continuing education hours in excess of the number required may be transferred or credited to the next renewal year.

What continuing education courses are acceptable?

In order for a continuing education course to be approved by the board, it shall be related to health care administration and shall be approved by the National Association of Boards of Examiners of Long Term Care Administrators (NAB) or by an accredited institution.

How long do licensees maintain their continuing education documentation?

Licensees shall retain in their personal files for a period of three renewal years complete documentation of continuing education including evidence of attendance or participation as provided by the approved sponsor for each course taken. For further information, refer to 18 VAC 95-30-70 of the regulations.


How do you reinstate an assisted living facility administrator’s license?

An applicant for assisted living facility administrator license reinstatement shall apply on a reinstatement form provided by the board, submit the reinstatement fee ($435), and provide one of the following:

(1) Evidence of the equivalent of 20 hours of continuing education for each year since he last renewal, not to exceed a total of 60 hours
(2) Evidence of active practice in another or U.S. jurisdiction or in the U.S. armed services during the period licensure in Virginia was lapsed.
(3) Evidence of requalifying for licensure by meeting the requirements prescribed in 18 VAC 95-30-100 or 18 VAC 95-30-110.

How do you reinstate a preceptor’s license?

An applicant for preceptor reinstatement shall apply on a reinstatement form provided by the board, submit the reinstatement fee ($105) and meet the current requirements for a preceptor in effect at the time of application for reinstatement.

Name/Address Change:

How do you notify the board office of an address change and/or name change?

Address changes may be made in writing. You may use the Name and Address Change Form to submit your request. The request should include name, license number, and/or social security number, old and new address. The address change may be faxed to (804) 527-4413, e-mailed to, or mailed to the board office. Address changes can also be made on line by going to "Online Licensing".

Name changes need to be submitted to the board office with legal documentation indicating the name change such as a marriage license, divorce decree, or court order.

How do I obtain a duplicate copy of my license?

To obtain a duplicate license, submit a written request and a $25 check or money order made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia.  Licensees may also obtain a duplicate license by going to Online Licensing.

Verification of License:

How can I have my license verified to another state?

To request a verification of licensure submit your request in writing (you may use the Verification Form); include your full name, license number or social security number, your current mailing address and the address of where you want the verification sent. Attach the required processing fee of $35.00 check or money order made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia.

Allow three to five business days for processing. The board verifies profession, license number, issue date, expiration date, how the licensee obtained Virginia licensure, and if there have been any disciplinary actions. Should a licensee need their national scores verified, they should contact the National Association of Long Term Care Administrator Boards (NAB)

Verifications received without the required fee will not be processed.

Mail your request and fee to:

Board of Long Term Care Administrators
Perimeter Center
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300
Henrico, Virginia 23233-1463

You may also verify licensure information online by using License Lookup