Board of Funeral Directors and Embalmers:
Laws and Regulations
The below documents are in Microsoft Word format. If you do not have Microsoft Word, you can get the Microsoft® Word Viewer 97/2000 to view and print DHP's documents.
- Click here to obtain a Petition for Rule-making. If you would like the Board to consider amending one of its regulations or rules, you may file a “petition for rule-making”. The Board is required to publish your petition in the Virginia Register to begin a 21-day comment period on the request. At the end of the 21 days, the Board must issue a written decision on whether it will grant or deny the petition. A copy of the petition form is provided. You may email the petition to the address below, fax it to the number on the form or mail it to the Board address.
- General Regulations governing Funeral Directors and Embalmers - 1/14/2015
- Regulations for Preneed Funeral Planning - 9/26/2013
- Regulations for the Funeral Service Internship Program - 1/14/2015
- Public Participation Guidelines - 10/29/2008
- Regulations of the Department of Health for Vital Statistics
- none at this time
By law, the persons licensed as health care practitioners
have a duty to report to the Virginia Department of Social Services or the
local departments of social services any known or suspected incidences of
abuse, neglect, or exploitation of children or elderly and incapacitated
adults. Contact information and a copy of the law may be obtained at: Legal
Requirements to Report Child Abuse and Adult Abuse