Word 97/2000 Viewer
(Word 2000) (Windows 95/98/NT)
With the Microsoft® Word Viewer 97/2000, everyone can open and view Word documents available at the DHP website, even if you do not have Microsoft Word on your computer or have an older version, which does not support Word 97/2000. With the Word Viewer, you can open, view, copy and print rich-formatted Word documents.
Word Viewer 97/2000 includes the following features:
- Online Layout View for easy reading of online documents, including those with background colors and textures
- Document Map for point-and-click navigation through longer documents
- Hyperlink navigation to open any hyperlink in a document with your installed browser
Microsoft Word Viewer 97/2000 will follow hyperlinks located in Word documents. Word Viewer 97/2000 is built to automatically configure itself as a Helper Application for Netscape Navigator and Microsoft Internet Explorer. This allows you to automatically view Word documents that are linked to Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) pages on the web in your default web browser.
This product is "freeware." We encourage you to copy and distribute Word Viewer to your friends and co-workers or post it on public electronic bulletin boards. The Word Viewer is also available from the Microsoft Download Service at (425) 936-6735.
- A personal computer with a 486 or higher processor
- Microsoft Windows® 95 operating system or Microsoft Windows NT® Workstation operating system 3.51 or later
- 4 MB of memory for Windows 95 (8 MB recommended)
- 12 MB of memory for Windows NT Workstation
- 7 MB of hard disk space (9 MB free for installation only)
- VGA or higher-resolution video adapter
- Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
- You may want to print this page to use as a reference when you are offline.
- Download the file from Office Update by clicking on the Download Now! at the top left of this page and following the instructions in the dialog boxes.
- Double-click the wd97vwr32.exe program file on your hard disk to start the Setup program.
- Word Viewer 97 Setup will prompt you for a folder in which to install Word Viewer. The default folder location for Word Viewer is <drive>:\Program Files\WordView on a Windows 98/ME/XP system (<drive>:\WordView on Windows NT 3.51).
- Click "Install" to install Word Viewer 97/2000.
- If Word Viewer Setup detects Word version 6.x or later on your system,
Setup will prompt you to determine which application should open Word
documents by default. The default application is used to open files with
.doc file extensions when they are double-clicked in Windows.
- Choosing "Open with Word" means that Word for Windows will be used by default to open Word files.
- Choosing "Open with Viewer" means that Word Viewer will be used by default to open Word files.
Note: If you select the "Open with Word" option and you want to restore Word as the default Word document handler, you will have to uninstall Word Viewer and then start Word so that it can restore its Registry information. For more information see "Installation and Maintenance" in the Word Viewer 97 Readme.doc installed with the viewer.
The download file, wd97vwr32.exe (3.76 MB) takes about 25 minutes to download using a 56k modem. If you are using a 28.8 or 14.4 modem, it will take longer relative to your connection speed. If you have broadband, it should be a breeze.
Go to the folder where you installed the Word Viewer, and run WordView.exe. The program will prompt you for a Word document to load.
- From the Start menu, point to the Settings entry, and choose Control Panel. Double-click on Add/Remove Programs.
- In the list on the Install/Uninstall tab, find the entry Microsoft Word Viewer 97, and highlight it. Click Add/Remove.
- When it asks you if you are sure you want to remove the application, click Yes.
- When it finishes removing the program, click OK on the confirmation dialog box.
If you are experiencing problems with this download, please review Microsoft's Support Page for assistance.