COVID-19 Information for Nurse Aide and Nursing Education Programs
Published on Mar 13, 2020
The Board of Nursing has received numerous inquiries regarding management of the COVID-19 restrictions experienced by our nursing and nurse aide education programs across the Commonwealth. We are keenly aware that the decreased access to clinical facilities is having an impact on program progression of your students particularly those nearing program completion. Your concerns have been elevated to the agency level and are being considered by the Department of Health Professions (“DHP”) leadership. The primary focus of the DHP action plan is to get healthcare professionals licensed so that they can contribute to the workforce at this critical time. As the situation evolves, you will be notified if there is a way to create flexibility in clinical requirements.
Key points to consider:
- Be sure to follow recommendations from the VDH and CDC regarding necessary precautions
- Rely on institutional and clinical facility policies for guidance and planning
- Consider retaining all documentation that shows the COVID-19 impact on your program’s ability to meet clinical hours and other related student requirements
For Nursing Programs only:
- The method of delivery of curriculum content is at the discretion of the program
- Simulation is an option and there are a variety of methods of simulation delivery
- Up to 50% of the total clinical hours for any course may be used as simulation
- Board approval is not required if changes to your curriculum, faculty, or method of delivery affects < 25% of the total hours of the didactic or clinical instruction
Going forward, DHP and the Board of Nursing will continue to monitor developments in this global health concern and make decisions in the best interest of its licensees, programs, and staff. We remain dedicated to safeguarding the health of all citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Nursing Education Programs please also refer to the regulations found here.
Nurse Aide Education Programs please also refer to the regulations found here.