A. A pharmacist shall be required to have completed a minimum of 1.5 CEUs or 15 contact hours of continuing pharmacy education in an approved program for each annual renewal of licensure. CEUs or hours in excess of the number required for renewal may not be transferred or credited to another year.
B. A pharmacy education program approved for continuing pharmacy education is:
1. One that is approved by the ACPE;
2. One that is approved as a Category I continuing medical education course, the primary focus of which is pharmacy, pharmacology, or drug therapy; or
3. One that is approved by the board in accordance with the provisions of 18VAC110-21-130.
C. Of the 15 contact hours required for annual renewal, at least three hours shall be obtained in courses or programs that are live or real-time interactive. Included in the three hours, the following may be credited:
1. A maximum of one hour for attendance at a board meeting or formal hearing;
2. A maximum of one hour for serving as a preceptor for a pharmacy student or resident in an accredited school or program or for a foreign-trained student obtaining hours of practical experience; or
3. A maximum of two hours for the delivery of volunteer pharmacy services in accordance with provisions of subsection D of this section.
D. Up to two hours of the 15 hours required for annual renewal may be satisfied through delivery of pharmacy services as a pharmacist, without compensation, to low-income individuals receiving health services through a local health department or a free clinic organized in whole or primarily for the delivery of those services. One hour of continuing education may be credited for three hours of providing such volunteer services, as documented by the health department or free clinic.
E. The board may grant an extension pursuant to § 54.1-3314.1 E of the Code of Virginia. Any subsequent extension shall be granted only for good cause shown.
F. Pharmacists are required to attest to compliance with the CE requirements in a manner approved by the board at the time of their annual license renewal. Following each renewal period, the board may conduct an audit of the immediate past two years CE documents to verify compliance with the requirements. Pharmacists are required to maintain for two years following renewal the original certificates documenting successful completion of CE, showing the date and title of the CE program or activity, the number of CEUs or contact hours awarded, and a certifying signature or other certification of the approved provider. Pharmacists selected for audit must provide these original documents to the board by the deadline date specified by the board in the audit notice.