Department of Health Professions
Press Releases and News
2017 News and Press Releases
- January 26, 201 - Governor McAuliffe announces new grant to help integrate PMP data into practitioner work flows
The grant, from PurduePharma, will allow Virginia’s PMP to connect with electronic health records used by Virginia doctors and pharmacies.
Read the Governor’s news release.
2016 News and Press Releases
- November 22. 2016 - Opioid Addiction Crisis Declared a Public Health Emergency in Virginia
On November 21, 2016 Governor McAuliffe issued a News Release stating that State Health Commissioner Marissa Levine has declared Virginia’s opioid abuse crisis a Public Health Emergency in the Commonwealth. Visit the Virginia Department of Health for more information. Download Commissioner Levine’s message to healthcare practitioners on dispensing Naloxone.
- September 23, 2016 - On Saturday, October 22, 2016, Virginia will participate in the 12th National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day, a DEA sponsored initiative providing citizens of the Commonwealth with an opportunity to dispose of potentially dangerous controlled substances from their medicine cabinets in an environmentally safe manner. Visit the DEA online for more information.
- August 25, 2016 - Free Forums Offers Safe Prescribing and Dispensing Practices for Healthcare Providers - One Care of Southwest Virginia, Inc. and the Virginia Department of Health are joining forces to offer a free educational forum that will provide healthcare providers with clinical best practices for safe prescribing and dispensing of controlled substances. Download the event poster here for more information.
- April, 14 2016 - 11th National Prescription Drug Take-back Day to be Observed April 30, 2016
Read a letter to Virginia practitioners from DHP Director Dr. David Brown and Learn more about the initiative.
- March 2016 - Zika Virus Task Force - Statewide preparedness initiatives related to the mosquito-borne Zika virus (ZIKV) are now available online.
View Governor McAuliffe’s February 26th press release.
January 2016 - Background checks
Effective January 1, 2016, the Virginia Board of Nursing will incorporate both state and federal criminal background checks as part of the application process for registered nurses and licensed practical nurses seeking licensure. This requirement applies to applicants by examination, endorsement and reinstatement. Upon submission of an application, information on criminal background checks will be provided to the potential licensee.
2015 News and Press Releases
- November 2015 - Navigating FOIA - A vast majority of public records are available to all citizens of the Commonwealth through the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). Download our guidance document to learn more about your FOIA rights and responsibilities.
- September 3, 2015 - Virginia will participate, Saturday, September 26, 2015 in the tenth National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day. Sponsored by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), this collaborative effort between state and local law enforcement agencies provides residents with an opportunity to dispose of potentially dangerous controlled substances in their medicine cabinets in an environmentally safe manner. Healthcare practitioners are encouraged to advise patients about this service and to remind them it is free and anonymous with no questions asked. Collection activities will take place from 10:00 a.m. through 2:00 p.m. at sites coordinated by law enforcement throughout Virginia. To find a collection site nearby or for more information, click on the following link: http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drug_disposal/takeback/.
Director of Communications
Virginia Department of Health Professions
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300
Henrico, Virginia 23233-1463
Phone: (804) 367-4400
Fax: (804) 527-4475
Directions to our office