Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

Board of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology
Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions | Continuing Competency Questions

General Questions:

How do I contact the Board office?

Our mailing address is 9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300, Richmond, Virginia 23233-1463. Our telephone number is (804) 367-4630, our fax number is (804) 527-4471. Our e-mail address is

How do I renew my license?

The fee for on-time renewal of an Audiologist or Speech-Language Pathologist license is $75.00 for an annual renewal. Make your check or money order payable to “Treasurer of Virginia” and attach a note to your payment that includes your name, correct address, Social Security number and license number. Mail this information to us at the address above. Please note that it will take 10-14 days for renewed licenses to reach you once it has been issued. If your license has already expired, you need to speak with someone in the Board of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology to request information on reinstatement.

I need my Virginia license verified to another state. Is there a fee?

The fee for verification to another state is $20.00 per license per state for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists. Please make your check or money order payable to “Treasurer of Virginia.” All requests for verification may be mailed to the Virginia Board of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology.

My name and/or address have changed. How do I notify the Board?

All name and address changes must come in writing (mail or fax) to our office. Please include your name, address, social security number and license number. If you have a name change, you must also enclose a copy of your marriage license or other court order which authorizes the change. We will acknowledge all name and address changes with a letter. There is no fee to make the change if you do not want a new copy of your license indicating the change.

If you need a duplicate copy of your license, you must send your request in writing along with the $5.00 duplicate license fee. Please make your check or money order payable to “Treasurer of Virginia.” Please include your name, address, social security number and license number. All requests for duplicate licenses may be mailed to the Virginia Board of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology.

Questions Related to Continuing Competency:

When must I have the required number of continuing competency hours completed in order to renew my license?

With the renewal of licensure after December 31, 2002, you will be required to complete the Continued Competency Activity and Assessment form indicating you have completed at least 30 contact hours of continuing learning activities.

What if I am dually licensed as an audiologist and speech-language pathologist, how many hours are required?

If dually licensed by the Board, no more than 45 contact hours are required for renewal.  A minimum of 30 of the 45 contact hours shall be Type 1 activities or courses, with a minimum of 15 contact hours in each profession.  The remaining hours of the 45 may or may not be Type 2 activities or courses related to either profession.

Am I required to send in evidence of my continuing competency hours at the time I renew?

No, the Board will randomly select licensees for a post-renewal audit.  If selected, you would be notified by mail that documentation is required and given a time frame within which to comply.

Who maintains the required documents for verification of continuing competency?

It is the practitioner's responsibility to maintain certificates and any other continuing competency forms or records for four years following the renewal of an active license.  Do not send any forms or documents to the Board unless requested to do so.

Where do I obtain the instructions and forms for continuing competency requirements?

Forms and instructions may be obtained from the Board, or downloaded from the Board's forms page  Forms may also be photocopied.

How are continuing competency hours calculated?

The units are calculated based on 60 minutes of participation in an activity.

What are Type 1 hours?

Type 1 hours (a minimum of 15 of the 30 contact hours) are those that are offered by one of the accredited sponsors or organizations sanctioned by the profession.

What are Type 2 hours?

Type 2 hours (no more than 15 of the 30 contact hours) are those earned in self-study, consultation with colleagues, participation on inter-disciplinary teams, independent study and research or writing on subjects related to practice.  They are activities chosen by the practitioner based on assessment of his/her practice.  They do not have to be approved by an accredited sponsor or organization.

What if I become ill or incapacitated and unable to complete my continuing competency requirements prior to renewal?

Upon written request from the practitioner explaining circumstances, the Board may grant an extension for up to one year or an exemption for all or part of the requirements for good cause or circumstances beyond the licensee's control.

What if I am now retired and don't want to obtain continuing competency hours but don't want to give up my license?

You may request an inactive license from the Board, beginning with your next renewal.  It is important to note that holding an inactive license does not authorize anyone to engage in the practice of audiology or speech-language pathology in Virginia.  If you intend to practice at all in Virginia, even on a part-time or non-compensatory basis, you must retain your active license.

What happens if I take an inactive licensure status and later decide to reactivate?

A practitioner seeking to reactivate a license must file a reinstatement application and pay the difference between the inactive and active renewal fees for the current biennium and provide documentation of having completed continued competency hours equal to the requirements for the number of years not to exceed four years, in which the license has been inactive.