Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

Enforcement Division
Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Who can file a Complaint?

A. Complaints are received by the Enforcement Division of the Department of Health Professions from any source, including, but not limited to: consumers; patients; licensees; facilities; employers; employees; the media; the courts; anonymous sources; other licensing boards; etc.

Q. Who can I Complain About?

A. The Department of Health Professions includes 14 regulatory Boards that regulate more than 50 types of professions and occupations and 8 types of facilities. This Agency has authority over any person or facility licensed by the Department of Health Professions, as well as persons practicing without a license where a license is required. Click Here to see the list of professions and facilities regulated by this Agency.

Q. How do I file a Complaint?

A. Complaints can be submitted to the Enforcement Division in writing, e-mail, telephone, in person, and anonymously.  Go to the Complaint page to see detailed information about the Complaint Process. For any questions contact the Enforcement Division at (804) 367-4691 or toll free at 1-800-533-1560 (VA Only).

Q. What happens to my Complaint?

A. Complaints are processed upon receipt and the source is notified by letter of the status of their complaint. When information received by the Department of Health Professions indicates a violation of law or regulation within this Agency's jurisdiction may have occurred, it is the responsibility of the Enforcement Division to obtain whatever additional information is needed to prove or disprove that a violation has occurred. Information is gathered and submitted to the appropriate Health Regulatory Board for consideration and action. The Board initially decides whether the evidence is sufficient to indicate that a violation law or regulation may have occurred. If the evidence is not sufficient for that purpose, the case is then closed and no further action is taken. If the Board believes there is sufficient evidence to indicate that a violation of law or regulation may have occurred, a determination is made (following the Administrative Processes Act) whether the accused has violated a law or regulation, and if so, the Board imposes disciplinary action. Click here to see a detailed explanation of the Disciplinary Process.

Q. How can I find out if my health care practitioner has been Disciplined?

A. To obtain public record information, you may contact the specific Health Regulatory Board directly, or, you may call the Department of Health Professions’ main reception desk at (804) 367-4400.  You may also want to visit the License Lookup.

Q. How Do I complain about a Hospital or Nursing Home?

A. The Department of Health, Office of Licensure and Certification, has regulatory authority over health care facilities including hospitals, nursing homes, home health agencies, hospices, etc. They can be contacted at 9960 Mayland Drive, Ste. 401, Henrico, VA 23233-1463, or by telephone at (804) 367-2106 or 1-800-955-1819, or via their web site.

Q. Can I get copies of my Medical Records?

A. Medical records are the property of the practitioner; however, the consumer is entitled to copies of those records under the provisions of several sections of the Virginia Code, including: §32.1-127.1:03 Patient Health Records Privacy; §51.4-111(C)(ii) Unlawful Acts; prosecution, proceedings in equity; and §8.01-413 Certain copies of health care provider’s records or papers of patient admissible, right of patient or his attorney to copies of such records or papers, subpoena, damages, costs and attorney’s fees. To search for laws or regulations you may access the Virginia Legislature Information System.