“New Frontiers for Virginia’s Healthcare Workforce” Forum Summary
“New Frontiers for Virginia’s Healthcare Workforce”
Department of Health Professions (DHP) Healthcare Workforce Data Center (HWDC)
Wednesday, January 9, 2013
10 a.m. – 12 noon
“New Frontiers for Virginia’s Healthcare Workforce” contributors
posed for a group picture following the event.
- Arne Owens, Department of Health Professions Chief Deputy Director
- Bob Gibson, Sorensen Institute for Political Leadership Executive Director
- Elizabeth Carter, Ph.D., Healthcare Workforce Data Center Director
- Kimberly Carter, Ph.D., R.N., Radford University School of Nursing Immediate Past Director
- Dianne L. Reynolds-Cane, M.D., Department of Health Professions Director
- David C. Sarrett, D.M.D., M.S., Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry Dean
- Sandra Reen, Virginia Board of Dentistry Executive Director
- Jay Douglas, R.N., M.S.M., C.S.A.C., Virginia Board of Nursing Executive Director
- Caroline Juran, R.Ph., Virginia Board of Pharmacy Executive Director
- (Not Pictured) William Hazel, M.D., Virginia Health and Human Resources Secretary
- (Not Pictured) Victor A. Yanchick, Ph.D., Virginia Commonwealth University School of Pharmacy Dean
Under the leadership of DHP Director, Dianne L. Reynolds-Cane, M.D., the Healthcare Workforce Data Center released five reports compiled from 2011-2012 surveys of healthcare licensees and include Virginia’s Dentist Workforce: 2012; Virginia’s Licensed Dental Hygienist Workforce 2012, Virginia’s Nursing Workforce: 2010-2012; Virginia’s Licensed Pharmacist Workforce: 2011; and, Virginia’s Licensed Pharmacy Technician Workforce: 2011.
The forum explored the implications of the age, gender, diversity, early development, academic preparation and geographic location of the Commonwealth’s: 6,672 dentists, 3,534 dental hygienists; 136,000 registered and practical nurses; 11, 756 pharmacists; and, 13,007 pharmacy technicians licensed by the Boards of Dentistry, Nursing and Pharmacy.
For the full reports, please visit the Healthcare Workforce Data Center homepage,
It is the mission of Virginia’s 13 health regulatory boards, the Board of Health Professions and programs that together compose the Department of Health Professions to ensure safe and competent patient care by licensing health professionals, enforcing standards of practice and providing information to health care practitioners and the public.