Trainers Advisory Board
Frequently Asked Questions
1.When did state certification become effective?Regulations requiring state certification for athletic trainers became effective June 6, 2001.
2. When did state licensure become effective?State certification became state licensure, effective July 1, 2004.
3. Who is required to have state licensure to practice?Anyone who practices athletic training or holds himself out to practice athletic training.
4. Are there exceptions to the requirement for state licensure?Virginia law says that state licensure will not prohibit any individual from providing first aid, nor any coach, physical education instructor or other person from conducting or assisting with exercise or conditioning programs or classes within the scope of their duties as employees or volunteers. Also, the requirements for licensure of athletic trainers shall not prevent student athletic trainers from practicing athletic training under the supervision and control of a licensed athletic trainer.
5. What is the difference between national certification and state licensure and are both required for practice in Virginia?National certification is the credential of certification granted by the Board of Certification (BOC). State licensure is granted by the state. Both are required for practice in Virginia.
6. Can I practice with a temporary license until a full license is issued?Virginia does not issue a temporary license, however an applicant who is a graduate of an accredited educational program or has fulfilled internship educational requirements through BOC and who has applied to take the certification examination may be granted a provisional license to practice athletic training under the supervision and control of a licensed athletic trainer. An application shall be submitted to the board for approval and the provisional license shall expire six months from the issuance or upon licensure as an athletic trainer by the board, whichever comes first.
7. Does your state have reciprocity?No. An applicant must meet the education and examination requirements to become state licensed.
8. How can I obtain an application for state license and how long does the process take?To apply for a license visit the Applications and Forms page to begin the application process. The average time to process an application is 6 to 8 weeks.
9. When do I have to renew my state license and how long does it take to process?Your state license must be renewed biennially during your birth month in each odd-numbered year. The fee is $135.00. A current license is printed, mailed and delivered to its destination within 10 working days. If you do not receive your updated license within four weeks of payment, contact the board office at 804-367-4600.
10. I am applying for a license/certification in another state that requires verification of my Virginia license. What is the process for verification?
The License Lookup site serves as primary source verification for Virginia, that includes the same information the Board provides in a written verification.
You may also complete a Virginia license verification request form and submit with the appropriate processing fee.
Please note the following:
- Verification requests received without a fee will not be processed or returned to the sender
- Verifications are processed and mailed within 5-7 business days of receipt.
- Under no circumstances will the Board send license verifications for overnight delivery even with a prepaid envelope.
- If your license verification is not received, the Board will send a second verification free of charge; however, if more than three months have lapsed or the second verification is not received, a new request and fee are required.
11. What if I had not notified you of my change of address and the renewal form was sent to the old address?If you do not receive a notice to renew, you will need to contact the board office at 804-367-4600 for instructions.
12. What if my renewal payment is not received by the deadline?An additional fee for processing a late renewal will be imposed. The license will not be updated until the additional fee is received.
13. I have mailed my renewal form to you. When can I expect to receive my new wallet card?A renewal license certificate with the wallet card attached is generated upon receipt of the renewal fee. It should reach the licensees address of record within 10 to 14 business days.
14. I am going out of the country for a year. Can I renew early?A license can only be updated within 60 days prior to the expiration date. Early renewal for military deployment may be considered. Call 804-367-4600.
15. What do I have to do to notify the board of an upcoming name change?Name changes must be submitted in writing with a copy of legal documentation of name change. Requests may be faxed to 804-527-4426.
16. I have not received my renewal license certificate for the current year. What do I need to do?Contact the board office at 804-367-4600.
17. Can you fax renewal forms to me?No.
18. May I verify state licensure online?Yes. Visit the License Look Up.
19. Does the Virginia Board have a newsletter?The Board publishes a Board Brief periodically. Board briefs can be found on our website.
20. May I renew my Virginia state license online?Yes, you are able to renew during your renewal cycle through the Online Licensing website.
21. May I change my address online?Yes. Visit the Online Licensing site for more details.
22. If I want to file a complaint, may I obtain a complaint form online?Yes, visit the Enforcement section of the DHP web to get the form and you may email your complaint to firstname.lastname@example.org.
23. My school is no longer in existence. How do I provide documentation of education?You must provide a copy of your school’s diploma and transcript and a statement that your school is no longer in existence.
24. What is provisional authorization?Upon a written request from an applicant and his employer and for good cause shown, an applicant who provides documentation of current BOC certification and, if licensed or certified by another jurisdiction in the United States, documentation that his license or certificate is current and unrestricted my be granted authorization to practice as an athletic trainer for 45 days pending submission of all other required documentation.
25. Can I renew my license in an inactive status?Yes. Please contact the Board at 804-367-4600 for details.
26. What are the CE requirements for renewal?Renewal in a current/active status requires attestation of current BOC certification.