Care Practitioner Advisory Board
1. When did licensure become effective?
Regulations requiring licensure for Respiratory Care became effective July 1, 1998.
2. How can I obtain an application for a license and how long does the process take?
You may apply online here. The average time to process an application is 6 to 8 weeks.
3. Can I practice with a temporary license until a full license is issued?
No. Virginia does not issue a temporary license.
4. Does your state have reciprocity?
No. An applicant must meet the education and examination requirements to become licensed.
5. My school is no longer in existence. How do I provide documentation of education?
You must provide a notarized copy of your school’s diploma and transcript and a statement that your school is no longer in existence.
6. When do I have to renew my license and how long will it take to receive my renewed license once fees have been sent?
Your license must be renewed biennially during your birth month in each odd-numbered year. The fee is $135.00. Licenses are updated upon receipt of fees. A current license is printed, mailed and delivered to its destination within 10 working days. If you do not receive your updated license within four weeks of payment, contact the board office.
7. What is the difference between an active and inactive license, and what are my options to renew my license?
An active license allows practice. An inactive does not allow practice. You may renew in an active or inactive status or allow your license to expire.
8. I am applying for a license in another state that requires verification of my Virginia license. How do I verify my license to another jurisdiction?
Go to www.dhp.virginia.gov and click on “License Lookup” from the menu bar. This is current, primary source verification.
You may also request your license verification be sent via fax by calling (804) 270-6836, entering the license number or social security number to be verified and the fax number to where you want the fax sent.
Written verification of a license from the board requires a written request to the board office. The fee is $10.00 per license number per location. The request should have the following:
- Licensee’s full name at the time they were licensed in Virginia.
- The appropriate fee.
- Either a license number or social security number, preferably both.
- The mailing address to where you want the verification sent.
Please make your check payable to the Treasurer of Virginia and send it to the Board of Medicine, 9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300, Henrico, VA 23233.
Please note the following:
- Verifications are processed and mailed out within 5-7 business days of receipt.
- Verifications may only be faxed by using the automated system (804) 270-6836.
- Do not send a prepaid envelope for overnight delivery. Under no circumstances will the Board send license verifications for overnight delivery even with a prepaid envelope.
- We will work with you to ensure that your verifications are received. However, after two (2) attempts and/or three (3) months have lapsed, a new fee will be required for a reprinting of any verification.
9. What if I had not notified you of my change of address and the renewal form was sent to the old address?If you do not receive a notice to renew, you will need to contact the board office at 804-367-4673 for instructions to renew.
10. What if my renewal payment is not received by the deadline?
An additional fee for processing a late renewal will be imposed. The license will not be updated until the additional fee is received.
11. I have mailed my renewal form to you. When can I expect to receive my new wallet card?
A renewal certificate with the wallet card attached is generated upon receipt of the renewal fee. It should reach the address of record within 10 to 14 business days.
12. I am going out of the country for a year. Can I renew early?
A license can only be updated within 60 days prior to the expiration date. Early renewal for military deployment may be considered. Call 804-367-4673.
13. What do I have to do to notify the board of an upcoming name change?
Name changes must be submitted in writing with a copy of legal documentation of name change. Requests may be faxed to 804-527-4426.
14. I have not received my renewal certificate for the current year. What do I need to do?
Contact the board office at 804-367-4673.
15. Can you fax renewal forms to me?
16. May I verify a license online?
Yes. Visit the License Look Up.
17. Does the Virginia Board have a newsletter?
The board publishes a Board Brief newsletter periodically. The latest Board Briefs can be found online.
18. May I renew my Virginia license online?
Yes, you are able to renew during your renewal cycle through the Online Licensing website.
19. May I change my address online?
Yes. Visit the Online Licensing site for more details.
20. If I want to file a complaint, may I obtain a complaint form online?
21. Who is required to have a license?
Anyone who wishes to practice as a respiratory care practitioner or assume the title, “Respiratory Care Practitioner” or use, in conjunction with his name, the letters “RCP”.
22. I have not practiced respiratory care for three years. Can I still obtain a license in Virginia?
If previously licensed or certified in another jurisdiction, a minimum of 160 hours of professional practice as a respiratory care practitioner within the 24-month period immediately preceding application for licensure is required. Active practice may include supervisory, administrative, educational or consultative activities or responsibilities for the delivery of such services.
23. What are the CE requirements for renewal?
Renewal in a current/active status requires attestation of having completed
20 hours of continuing respiratory care education as approved and documented
by a sponsor recognized by the ARRC or in courses directly related to the
practice of respiratory care as approved the American Medical Association
for Category 1 CME credit within the last biennium.