Governor’s Task Force On Prescription Drug And Heroin Abuse
On September 26, 2014, Governor McAuliffe signed Executive Order 29 establishing the Governor’s Task Force on Prescription Drug and Heroin Abuse. The Task Force was created to recommend immediate steps to address a growing and dangerous epidemic of prescription opioid and heroin abuse in Virginia, with the ultimate goal of improving public safety and public health.
The Task Force is co-chaired by the Secretary of Health and Human Resources and Secretary of Public Safety and Homeland Security and includes representatives from the Office of the Attorney General, legislature, and judiciary, as well as relevant state and local agencies, law enforcement, health and behavioral health care professionals, providers, community advocates, and individuals with personal experience with addiction.
Recommendations from the October 2, 2014 Heroin Summit, as well as those developed last year in conjunction with the National Governor’s Association, are being taken up by the five workgroups established under the Executive Order, focusing on the areas of Education, Treatment, Storage and Disposal, Data and Monitoring, and Enforcement. The Task Force will provide initial recommendations to the Governor on or before December 31, 2014, a comprehensive implementation plan by June 30, 2015, and any additional reports as necessary.
June 21, 2017 – Opioid and Heroin Stakeholders Meeting
- Hazel and Moran presentation with charts
- Active Workgroups, Studies & Regulations on Prescribing in Virginia (David Brown)
- State Targeted Response SAHMSA Grant Activities & Programs (Daniel Herr)
- ARTS Update (Karen Kimsey)
- Certified Peer Recovery Specialist Workforce (Becky Sterling)
- Comprehensive Harm Reduction in Virginia (Hughes Melton)
- Virginia Foundation for Healthy Youth (Marty Kilgore)
May 4, 2016 – Opioid and Heroin Stakeholders Meeting
- Health & Criminal Justice Data Committee - Download PDF | Download PPT
- Northern Shenandoah Valley Substance Abuse Council - Download PDF | Download PPT
- One Care of Southwest Virginia - Download PDF | Download PPT
- Administration Update – Legislation and State Website - Download PDF | Download PPT
October 20, 2015 – Fall 2015 Update of Implementation Plan sent to Governor McAuliffe
Full Task Force Membership
- Roster of Education Workgroup
- Roster of Treatment Workgroup
- Roster of Data and Monitoring Workgroup
- Roster of Storage and Disposal Workgroup
- Roster of Enforcement Workgroup